Electrical Vehicle Charging Systems
Electric Vehicles (EVs) are becoming increasingly popular in Ontario. That means we need more EV Charging Stations in residential, commercial and industrial locations.
Be aware there are different levels and types of charging – level 1, level 2 and level 3. These use different voltages and amperages.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You must file a notification of work with ESA before starting the installation. Call 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233)
- You must meet the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. In particular, pay attention to Section 86 – Electrical Vehicles Charging Systems.
- If you only need an outlet and associated equipment (breaker and wiring), fee code R078 applies. There will be a charge for any more outlets or chargers.
- If you need a new panel or service, the corresponding notification fees apply.
- Unless exempt under Ontario Regulation 570/05, a Licensed Electrical Contractor must do the installation.
- A Local Distribution Company or its affiliate doing the installation must hold an ECRA/ESA electrical contracting licence. This person also files a notification of work to ESA for the installation.
- A nationally recognized certification agency must certify the equipment for use in Canada. The equipment must display CSA, cUL, cETL or other certification marks recognized by ESA.
- ESA issues a Certificate of Acceptance once the installation meets the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Ask your Licensed Electrical Contractor for a copy of it.